The Changing Face of Agriculture and the Rural Landscape
Annual Meeting of the Agricultural History Society
University of Arkansas at Little Rock
Little Rock, Arkansas
June 18 to June 20, 2009
Deadline for Submissions: November 15, 2008
International issues concerning agriculture and rural life have attracted wide public discussion in the last few years. Farmers, consumers, workers, and communities across the world are facing such issues as climate change, trade and migration, financial and credit instability, and pressures on rural traditions. Scholars of rural life have an opportunity to reassert the importance of agricultural and rural history in weighing these issues and at the same time to consider the implications for approaches to our field.
In the interest of promoting understanding of the changing face of agriculture and the rural landscape, the program committee wishes to encourage submissions of interdisciplinary and cross-national panels focused on the historical roots of current issues. We also encourage discussion of changes these new issues may suggest for the field of agriculture and rural history. However, proposals on any aspect of agriculture and rural history are welcome. We encourage proposals of all types and formats, including traditional papers/commentary sessions, thematic panel discussions, roundtables on recent books, and poster presentations. We will consider submissions of full panels and individual papers, as well as paired or individual posters.
Complete session proposals should include a chair, participants, and, if applicable, a commentator. Please include the following information:
• An abstract of no more than 200 words for the session as a whole;
• A prospectus of no more than 250 words for each presentation;
• A mailing address, email, phone number, and affiliation for each participant; and
• A CV of no more than a page for each participant.
Individual submissions should include all the above except a session abstract.
Please send submissions, in Microsoft Word or RTF format, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, applicants may mail five hard copies of their proposals to:
Department of History, 416 Old Main
University of Arkansas
Fayetteville, AR 72701
Please direct questions regarding the program to any member of the program committee:
- Jeannie Whayne, Chair, University of Arkansas, email@example.com
- Jim Giesen, Mississippi State University, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Doug McCalla, University of Guelph, email@example.com
- Sara Morris, University of Kansas, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jim Norris, North Dakota State University, Jim.Norris@ndsu.edu